Swinging Bridge/Ghost Town

 The second adventure of my first day was more intriguing. I wanted to check out the Little Toby Swinging Bridge and, supposedly, a ghost town. It was hard to figure out where to go. After a bit of struggling to find a landmark I could put in my GPS I settled on Frank Varischetti Field in Grampian, Pa. This is where it took me:


In other words, with no idea where I was going. 

There seemed to be a road heading in the right direction, but there was this:


That couldn't be right? Could it? I took a wild guess about what might be the right direction and headed back the way I came. But within a block I spotted a pedestrian who gave me directions. Here's what happened when I followed his instructions:


There was a road that said it went to the boat ramp -- which was where parking should be -- but it went uphill away from the creek. I took the road that went to the creek and found a dead end by a cabin. I went to the cabin, which turned out to be a hunting cabin and reminded me of the Jeep Club from when I was a kid. There were two very nice men there who directed me back to the road I thought was wrong because it went uphill. 

Here's the cabin and the dead-end where I parked while asking for directions, as seen from the correct road:

Yeah, there was indeed no outlet. There was a dead end about five miles from the "No Outlet: sign:


I headed in what I assumed was the right direction and soon found confirmation that I was correct. The map at the trailhead said that from the parking I'd pass the Little Vineyard Run. And there it was, right where it was supposed to be:

And further on, further verification:

The trail was beautiful:

There were any number of pretty little rivulets:

And at last, a sign for the swinging bridge!



I found a sign that explained what was supposed to be there -- the "ghost town," I presumed. In retrospect, I probably should have explored a bit on the other side of the bridge to see what there was to see.


Still, I saw this sign and assumed there was a ghost town somewhere around:


Eventually my perseverance paid off and I found something worth gawking at, albeit not exactly an entire ghost town: 





So that was my adventure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bilger's Rocks